1
Saturday, 17. August 2019

Sfântu Gheorghe (Hungarian: Sepsiszentgyörgy) is the most significant city of the historical Three Chairs region (Hungarian: Háromszék), today being the seat of Covasna County. Furthermore it is Transylvania’s largest city with a Hungarian majority.

A brief history of our town

People lived in the areas surrounding Sfântu Gheorghe (Sepsiszentgyörgy) since the Stone Age. There are traces of several migratory people that can be found in the countryside. The first written mention of the settlement dates back to 1332; the city was named after Saint George, the first patron saint of the town’s church. In addition, Sfântu Gheorghe (Sepsiszentgyörgy) earned the “city title” in 1461, in the year of 1492 the city received from Báthory István, Prince of Transylvania, the “privileged city” status. Nevertheless, Saint George could keep its privileges with great difficulty; the neighboring Saxon city of Kronstadt (today Braşov/Brassó) had incessantly endeavored to deny our town the right to hold fairs.



Pageview: 8268



Our Town

Twin Towns
Culture
Sports
Education
Tourism
Webcams
Contact
Photo Gallery


 Tisztelettel és szeretettel
köszöntöm honlapunkon!

Photo gallery



All rights reserved © Primăria Sfântu Gheorghe 2019 - Sitemap